Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Surveying five years

Wednesday 30th November 2011
          St Andrew's Day is the anniversary of my induction as Team Rector of North Tyne and Redesdale and a good moment to pause and take stock  --  all the better on a bright cool day when I still hadn't enough voice to talk to anyone.
Molly surveys Bellingham whilst I survey my life

    What has happened in the last five years? 
Most importantly for me starting work in a new part of England, I have begun to get to know a tiny corner of Northumberland.  I have learned a little geography, the pronunciation of some placenames and some breeds of sheep (Blackface, Swaledale, Cheviot and Mule instead of Romney Marsh and Southdown)

     Most importantly of all, I have begun to get to know a little about the life of the people who live here, about their background, history, culture and concerns.  I love it here and hope that this familiarisation may help to make me able to minster to the needs of the people amongst whom I now have my home.
After taking the morning off, I returned to my study, the computer and other routine activities before driving over to Otterburn to chair the PCC who were able to discuss most things without too much intervention from a dysphonic chairman.

No comments:

Post a Comment