Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Wild weather

Tuesday 13th December 2011
       I made the effort to exercise the horse  (in strong gusting winds and sleet showers) between coming out of Morning Prayer in church and going to a school Christmas event.  The children of five schools in the local partnership came to sing carols together and the schools each performed two numbers from their Christmas productions.  I gave them a quick introduction and prayer with the lighting of three candles on the Advent wreath and ended proceedings with a blessing.  A very good occasion.
       They spent the rest of the day sharing various activities, whilst I left to conduct a funeral.  After the service in church, the wind was so strong at the graveside that I could feel it swirling my cloak around me and pushing me forward.  Never before have I had to step back deliberately during the prayer of committal so as to avoid being blown forward down onto the coffin.  The mourners made a rapid retreat to the Cheviot Hotel for a funeral tea which was extremely welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment