Tuesday, November 20, 2012

"Early to bed and early to rise..."

Monday 19th November 2012
Can I come?
Sorry: this morning's trot to Redesmouth doesn't involve taking passengers!  

"Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise".
     Yesterday's early to bed (10.30) was unsurprising after I had  been early to rise (6.00 a.m.) to see to the horse and write the final version of my sermon before setting out for Sunday services.  
     However, it clearly didn't contribute to making me healthy (as I have a cold), wealthy (as the idea of a clergy stipend is that it's a flat rate regardless of how much work one does: it's designed to enable clergy to live unextravagantly without material worries so that they can devote their lives to their parishioners) and certainly not a man!   (But, of course, when the saying was coined, man, one of mankind, meant one of the human race.)
     Let's just hope that I may perhaps develop some wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment