Sunday, August 12, 2012

"Make hay while the sun shines"

Thursday 9th August 2012

     I was delighted to receive a phone call from a farmer on Thursday evening  to say that he had just managed to make a hundred bales of hay and could let me have some if I went to collect it.  What a relief!  After such a wet summer I was beginning to wonder whether I would find anything for Molly to eat through the winter.
     Normally I wouldn't be able to drop everything and go; but as Thursday was the first day of my week's holiday, I was free. 
     It reminded me that the longest school holidays were originally set for the summer so that the children were available to help with the harvest.  (Before my time, Kentish schoolchildren had a fortnight's "hopping holiday" in the autumn to help with the hop picking.)

No comments:

Post a Comment