Monday, April 27, 2020

St Mark's Day

Saturday 25th April 2020
     The Rectory Multi-tree, which I have long promised to photograph when conditions were right.  There are actually five young saplings growing from the stump of the ancient beech.  Only the silver birch, rowan and fir tree show in this picture.
     St Mark's day brings back various memories including one prompted by today's Bible reading: when St Paul and Barnabas were on one of the missionary journeys described in the Acts of the Apostles, they wanted John Mark to travel with them...When I began to explore the possibility that I had a vocation to be ordained, I consulted a wise priest and exclaimed "I don't want to!".  His comment was "What would have happened if Paul and Barnabas had said that?"

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps it is those of us who say "I don't want to" who are those who should. I remember saying the exact same thing to the editor of a major newspaper and he looked at me and said, "Then you are the very person who should do it". (And yes, it has been my working life since then.)

    ReplyDelete