Monday, February 13, 2012

Always something different

Monday 13th February 2012
"Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me"
It was a day of cloud and sunshine as family and friends gathered for the Registrar's visit to officiate at a wedding held at the home of the couple.  Because of illness they couldn't travel elsewhere for the ceremony which was followed by my leading prayers and pronouncing a blessing.  The weather was clear, the celebration muted but happy. 
      This fitted with the reading "Rejoice in the Lord always...The Lord is near.  Do not worry about anything...Whatever is true...honourable...just...pure...pleasing...commendable...worthy of praise, think about these things...and the God of peace will be with you."
      My husband assumed that my latish arrival at the Rectory was because of the wedding; but he wasn't surprised at the slightly unexpected explanation "I've been helping to move sheep", as it's all in a day's work.
     On my way back to the Rectory, I had called at a farm where our cup of tea was interrupted by the need to move some sheep before it got dark.  I did a quick change from cassock to thick jumper and high viz jacket before walking along the road to open a field gate and  stand ready to  stop the traffic.  One person stationed along the road in the opposite direction stopped the other flow of traffic, whilst the farmer and his two dogs sent the forty or so sheep towards me.  I tapped with my borrowed stick at what I hoped was the right moment and was relieved to find that they all turned neatly into the correct field.  A similar operation was achieved with the other half of the flock in the other direction and we resumed our tea and conversation.
      The evening was preparing my contributions for the next issue of the church magazine (submission deadline tomorrow).
    

No comments:

Post a Comment