Thursday, June 23, 2016

Home again

Thursday 23rd June 2016
Above Bellingham on a dewy morning

I'm home from holiday in time to vote in the referendum on whether the UK should leave or remain in the EU.  It's a complicated issue and nearly 10% of the population of Bellingham had already voted by 8.30 a.m. when I went to the polling station after feeding the horses on the fell and saying Morning Prayer in church.
     Somebody said that she would feel like setting off fireworks if the result is the one she has voted for.  I said that the issue has split the population to such an extent that nobody should be setting off fireworks but that we'll just have to settle down and live with the result.  Things will be different whatever the outcome.  

1 comment:

  1. Your father told me forty years ago that Britain was a "tiny, overcrowded but welcoming island". It's something I have never forgotten and I hope it isn't going to change.

    ReplyDelete